After arrest, radio host quits 'Boomer and Carton' showSeptember 14, 2017 1:07am

NEW YORK (AP) — New York sports radio personality Craig Carton quit his "dream job" on WFAN Wednesday, saying he didn't want to be a distraction as he faces federal charges that he cheated investors to pay off gambling debts.

Carton co-hosted "Boomer and Carton" with former NFL quarterback Boomer Esiason until his arrest last week on charges that he misappropriated at least $5.6 million from two investors.

In a statement, he said "unfounded legal issues currently plaguing me will only be a distraction to everyone at WFAN and the show I helped build."

"I am sad to see this chapter of my life close but know that it will allow me to focus on my family, my well-being and clearing my name, while giving the show the best opportunity to succeed without further disruption," he said.

He suggested that he would return someday to the airwaves.

"As much as I want to talk about the allegations against me I can't at this time. There will come a time when I will be able to speak directly about the case and I hope our listeners will be there," he said. "For 10 years I've had the great privilege of showing up to work every day at my dream job."

Carton quit a week after federal authorities arrested him, saying he used a Ponzi scheme to fool investors into giving him millions of dollars to pay off gambling debts to casinos and elsewhere.

On Tuesday he had vowed to fight the charges, saying his fans would see he was not guilty and he'd be back "stronger than ever."

CBS, which owns WFAN and says it's cooperating with authorities, confirmed in a statement that it had accepted Carton's resignation.

"We appreciate all of his contributions over the last decade and wish him and his family well during this next phase," according to the statement from CBS Radio. "The search for a replacement co-host for the morning show will begin immediately."

Carton, 48, of Manhattan, remains free on $500,000 bail.

More Stories Like This

FILE - In this Sept. 21, 2015, file photo, James Blake arrives at New York's City Hall. A 2015 incident where former pro tennis star Blake was mistakenly arrested in New York City has become the subject of a disciplinary trial for the arresting officer accused of using excessive force. The 37-year-old Blake is expected to testify at a proceeding starting Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig, File)
Ex-tennis star Blake testifies about his mistaken arrest
The Latest: Police officer says he ID'd himself to BlakeA New York City police officer who mistakenly arrested former pro tennis star James Blake says he identified himself as soon as he put his hands on him
Judge briefly closes courtroom in ex-tennis star caseAn administrative judge hearing a disciplinary case against a police officer who wrongly arrested tennis star James Blake briefly sealed the New York courtroom
FILE - In this Sept. 15, 2017 file photo, a bar patron, right, looks out through the window as protesters march, in St. Louis. When a former police officer was acquitted in the fatal shooting of a black suspect, protesters vowed to show their disdain by disrupting business in downtown St. Louis. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)
Protesters make good on threat to disrupt St. Louis business
Member of Kennedy family pays fine after arrest at partyAuthorities in Massachusetts have dismissed a disorderly conduct charge against a Kennedy family member who was arrested last month after complaints about a loud party
Ohio State: Dismiss ex-player's lawsuit over image useOhio State is asking a judge to throw out a lawsuit by one of its most famous football stars who alleges the university used ex-athletes' photos without permission and robbed them of compensation
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices